Monday, May 13, 2013

The Junk Files #5 {better late than never}...

so I started out with a cast-off fence post that I've been holding on to forever, some old scrap wood and some rusty hooks...

the bottom of the post was rotten so I removed it by loosening some screws... 
now I needed to create a new sturdy base.. 

I always have scrap wood on hand so I cut three different size boards into squares each one larger than the last. I just kept adding until I felt like it was sturdy enough to stand on it's own without tipping over...

this is not a project for perfectionists  ;) none of my projects are! I was working with a semi-warped post from all it's exposure to the elements and very old boards, none of which would form a perfect square for me. Charm, my friends, that's what we call imperfections at Nest.  ;)
nice and sturdy!...

I dry-brushed the post with light green paint just to tie it in with the yummy original paint on my scrap wood...

I LOVE these little sample paints from Lowes! $3 can do a lot of small projects...
added my rusty old hooks...you can find some nice and inexpensive reproduction hooks at Hobby Lobby if you don't have any old ones...

after I scrubbed the whole thing down with soap and water and removed all the loose paint, I sealed it with poly {I like to use water-based~it dries much faster and doesn't yellow like oil -based products}. Sealing it will also protect you and your family from lead paint.

Finished product!And it didn't tip over when I hung
my 300 lb. tote bag on it :)   SUCCESS!



it's charming and sweet and will be at the shop this week!